Monday, May 15, 2006

National Chocolate Chip Day

Today's holiday is a mix of two of my favourite things: useless trivia and chocolate...no, even better, useless trivia about chocolate. So, here's the thing. In the 1930s there was this chick named Ruth Wakefield who owned an inn in Massachusetts. And Ruth loved to bake cookies for her guests every day. One day, she committed the ultimate baking sin...she didn't check her cupboard to find out if she had all of the ingredients. So, instead of using her usual baking chocolate, she was forced to break apart a chocolate bar into her dough. Ruth thought that the chocolate would melt and mix with the dough during the cooking process (either she was a bit on the slow side or had a magical oven). Well, guess what? The chocolate bits did not melt and mix, but did get a bit softer. Ruth served the cookies anyway and her guests were estradic! Her cookies were so popular, she made a deal with Nestle...They would carry her recipe on the back wrapper of their semi-sweet chocolate bar. And ol' Ruth was thinking...instead of asking for money, she would in turn be given a lifetime supply of chocolate. I mean, it was the Depression, what would she do with a lot of money? But a tonne of chocolate...imagine the possibilities!!!
Personally, I think that this holiday has come just in time for my buddy, Cassidy, who seems to be hopeless at baking cookies. Maybe she just needs a little help from Ruth (whose original recipe can be found at www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/detail.aspx?ID=18476). You never know, Cass, it may be your recipe on the back of a wrapper someday.

6 Comments:

At May 15, 2006 1:40 p.m., Blogger Scottie said...

wow... once again... wow... that's it...

 
At May 15, 2006 4:43 p.m., Blogger Stephanie (aka Not Neves) said...

So, does that mean WOW or wow or wow! or wow? Sometimes I just can't read you, Scottie.

 
At May 15, 2006 7:34 p.m., Blogger Cassidy said...

Stephy, thank you for putting hope back into my life. I now know, that even with my horrible cookie baking skills, I still have a chance to get somewhere in my life. *tear tear* I am just so thankful.

 
At May 16, 2006 11:37 a.m., Blogger Kim said...

I am thinking you are cheating at this blogging thing. I mean come on you can't think of an original Steph story you have to copy one. Oh and I LOVE CHOCOLATE!

 
At May 16, 2006 1:31 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have nothing. I wish I had something. But nothing is all I have. Nothing dipped in chocolate. A big ol' bowl of chocolate nada.

 
At May 17, 2006 1:56 p.m., Blogger Scottie said...

you can't read me? ironic and very good to know...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home