Friday, June 09, 2006

Best Friend Day

My best friend's name is Georgette (yeah, she hates it, too). We have been friends since seventh grade...almost 20 years. She is my best friend for many reasons, but mainly because she's one of the only people I can count on to be 100% honest with me (whether I like it or not) and because she cracks me up like no one else I know. Unfortunately, she lives in on the mainland (in Pennfield) and I don't get to see her much. And our lives being what they are, we rarely even talk on the phone or msn. But I know that if I need her, she's there. We just pick up exactly where we left off. And no matter how many other friends come in and out of our lives, we will always be "best friends".

I have never had many friends. I don't know why, I'm just socially retarded, I guess. But I have to say, one of the best things about going to Alabama was the friends I made both down there and since we've come home. And while it's great to have one best friend, it's awesome to be included in such a diverse group of friends. For the first time, I actually feel like I belong. (Except, of course, for the night I had to eat an 18" pizza by myself. Then I just felt depressed and lonely, my heart aching as the tears mingled with the steaming mozzarella....) I'm just realizing that I have spent most of my life thinking that I didn't measure up and wasn't cool enough. It didn't really bother me that much, but it sure feels great to part of something. I am also realizing that most of the people that I think are popular/cool are just as insecure as I am. And that in itself is very liberating. It may not be long before I feel free to dance, because I know the rest of you will be making fools of yourselves right along with me. So, thanks. I may or may not love you guys very much.

8 Comments:

At June 09, 2006 8:35 p.m., Blogger Cassidy said...

That was a great post Steph. (this is going to be a serious comment, beware, I don't do these often.)
When I first saw the post title, all I thought was "best friends are over rated." Because about a year ago, my best friend of five years and I got in a fight and stopped talking, so, it's rather hard to call anyone your "best friend." I have a lot of best friends, (GOOO TIFF), lol, but there are always some that are unforgettable...<3

 
At June 09, 2006 10:54 p.m., Blogger Kirk said...

I don't feel insecure I know I'm cool.

 
At June 10, 2006 7:16 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I concur! What a great post. Since we got back from Alabama it has seemed like some pretty hard times for me, mentally, spiritually or whatever.
And its been my friends that are helping me keep sain through all this. Not just the veterans but my new found Alabama trip frinds, and the blog friends. All of you thank you so much for your friendship, love you all.

(Wow...a serious post, sorry do dissapoint everyone)

 
At June 10, 2006 7:26 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kirk: I appreciate your vanity/honesty. Though I may never be truly cool, by having you as a friend maybe I can be cool by association. Forever in your debt.

Yurr: You make my sometimes sucktastic world a little brighter. What else can I say...yurr great.

 
At June 10, 2006 8:59 a.m., Blogger Kim said...

Aaahhh, sniff, sniff, I thank God as much as I can for bringing us all together. All of you guys are great and I definately love our new found friendship! Steph we have officially thrown the socially retardedness out the window, it is time to sway to the music!!!

 
At June 10, 2006 2:13 p.m., Blogger Scottie said...

hey,
this seriousness (minus kirk's comment) is right up my alley...
for the record steph, i did attempt with all my might to persuade those around to come and eat that pizza, but alas...

anywho, i do appreciate this comment too... i think it is funny that we still hang out some since i thought we were going to kill each other in Bama... God has a good sense of humour i guess... (martha meet captain i'm not sure, disorganized guy)

but to be honest i was not looking forward to coming home from bama because of a certain group dispersing and God used these people greatly in my life... yet, it has been awesome to see how since then He has filled what i saw as a void with others who care and listen to me vent and "whine" at times... long and short, i do appreciate you and those who God has placed in my life as of late.., and yes scott, the vetrans rock too...

well that is enough... i sure hope i was included in this posts thoughts or that would be really embarrassing...

 
At June 10, 2006 4:49 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your insecurity speaks for itself.

 
At June 11, 2006 12:03 a.m., Blogger Kirk said...

I can't believe Scottie ddidn't think I was serious. That is very uncool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home