Sunday, July 02, 2006

Hump Day

Well, today marks the halfway mark of 2006. I'm sitting here trying to think of what I have accomplished so far this year. Instead, what is running through my mind is all the things I still haven't done. Apparently I'm a "the glass is half empty" kind of person...which I am sure is a total shock and surprise to everyone who knows me.

This week is also "Take Charge of Change Week". I really need to change my attitude towards life. I am soooo negative. I like to think of myself as honest, though. It doesn't sound as horrible and it makes me feel better. The truth of the matter is, however, I am just negative and nasty most of the time.
I could blame it on my genes...my whole family (both sides) tend to look for the "but" in every situation. What a beautiful sunny day we had yesterday, BUT it rained for a week before that and it's not giving much better for the week ahead. I get to have two months off for summer vacation, BUT I don't really because I have three rooms I want to clean out, a kitchen to wallpaper and no time to do it because I have two small children.
When I went to Alabama, I thought I would come back and be completely grateful for every little thing I had. I was wrong. It frightens me to think that if I don't change my heart and start to be more appreciative for what God has given me, He is going to start taking things away. At the risk of being negative, I am sucktastic at speaking life.

In Phillipians 4:8, Paul tells the church that they are to think on, weigh, take account of and fix their minds on whatever is true, worthy of reverence, honourable, appropriate, just, pure, lovely and loveable, kind and pleasant and compassionate and anything that is virtuous, excellent and worthy of praise.
Or in the negative (sorry, I'm not quite there yet), don't let your mind be ruled by lies, disrespect, things that are not worthy of praise & honour, are inappropriate, unfair, unclean, unlovely and unloveable, unkind, unpleasant, unfeeling and anything that is unrighteous, less than exceptional and undeserving of our admiration as followers of Christ. Easier said than done. Change is hard because it involves things that don't come easily to us in the flesh...faith, surrender of control, patience. Fruits of the Spirit.

...which presents an interesting Catch 22. In order to be filled with the Spirit, we have to empty ourselves of the flesh. In order to empty ourselves of self, we need to be filled with the Holy Spirit. Now I'm more confused than ever.

GODSTOP: My husband. I don't appreciate him enough, but right now I am sitting in bed, watching Coronation Street (finally!), updating my blog, drinking coffee he made for me, while he is downstairs cooking breakfast for the kids and keeping them entertained. Men of Galilee, why do you stand here looking into the sky? (Acts 1:11) Sometimes it's right in front of our face.

If you have actually read this whole monologue and made it to the end...thanks. It seems I will be allowed to have my sense of humour back only after I work through some things. My apologies.

8 Comments:

At July 02, 2006 9:48 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

delight in the Lord.
delight yourself also in the Lord, and he shall give you desires of your heart.
to delight means to encourage ourselfs in the Lord.David found encouragement by reviewing the victories God had given him.Thats what we need to do.remember a time when God gave us a miracle,then praise him for that and ask him to do it again.
When God sees us giving praise at a dark moment,he says to the angles,"lookat that one.shes praising Me even though her doctor to her about her cancer.That man just lost his jod,and yet hes praising Me.hurry angles,take healing and comfort to those and pour out blessings they cannot contain."


:)

 
At July 02, 2006 12:29 p.m., Blogger Em Bass said...

Don't worry Steph, I'm sucktastic @ speaking life too, we should work on it together. Don't feel lonely, that is all. :)

 
At July 02, 2006 3:22 p.m., Blogger Kim said...

I think we all are sucktastic at speaking life with the exception of you know who! I think we all take for granted the things God has blessed us with but we do acknowledge that it is somthing we all need to work on. Hopefully, that is a good start!

 
At July 02, 2006 4:33 p.m., Blogger Kirk said...

I try not to leave comments any more because every time I do I get insulted. Oh and P.P. I agree you know who is the only one who has been doing well at speaking life all the time.

 
At July 02, 2006 4:38 p.m., Blogger raema said...

Hey Stephanie you should try doing this 40 day's of Praise on your blog, it has already deeply blessed me. It has changed the way I think and feel, I have honestly never felt better. I still slip up but God seems to be changing even my slip ups....

 
At July 02, 2006 4:38 p.m., Blogger Cassidy said...

Speaking life is hard. Especially when your speaking life into Emmalina.

 
At July 03, 2006 3:58 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

You bring life to Emmalina.
PS. Where do you get your clothes?

 
At July 04, 2006 11:10 a.m., Blogger Scottie said...

i appreciate your honesty steph... thanks...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home