Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Let It Go Day

Sometimes the "coincidences" in life just amaze me.

I got thinking about why I am feeling so sucktastically not filled with life and I came up with another fabulous syllogism:

I don't read my Bible = I choose to ignore what God wants to say to me
I choose to ignore what God wants to say to me = I feel sucktastic

Therefore....
I don't read my Bible = I feel sucktastic

I haven't read my Bible in about a week and a half, and I have been feeling progressively more sucktastic as the days go by (that and the unending fog). So, after consultation with PP and Yurr and also the screaming reminder that today is Let It GO Day, I decided maybe I should spend some time in prayer and reading the Bible. Not so coincidentally, God decided today would be a great day to slap me in the side of the head with His Word.

Whenever anyone else says they "feel" a certain way about something/someone and they don't know how to stop, my advice is always "ask God to change your heart". This advice was based on experience, but today I found scripture to back it up. It was like God was saying, "Hello, thank you for sharing this with everyone else on the planet, how about applying it to yourself?" He wasn't really saying it gently, either. No one can tell me God isn't sarcastic when He needs to be. Anyway, I was reading in Acts about Simon the sorceror and how he tried to buy the ability to give people the gift of the Holy Spirit. While our sins were not even remotely similar, Peter's response to him (8:22-23) really hit me: So repent of this depravity and wickedness of yours and pray to the Lord that, if possible, this contriving thought and purpose of your heart may be removed and disregarded and forgiven you. For I see that you are in the gall of bitterness and in a bond forged by iniquity to fetter souls..." Harsh. Sometimes the truth is as sucktastic as the lies.

Then I was reading about Saul/Paul and how God asked Ananias to go pray over him. Ananias didn't really want to go...he knew Saul's reputation and really questioned God's decision to send him to bless such a jerk. But God said to him, "Go, for this man is a chosen instrument of mine...(9:15)" (I bet Ananias was thinking "Yeah, he's an instrument alrighty, he's a real tool.") Anyhow...what God said to me was that I have no right to question what God asks me to do or who He asks me to reach out to in love. He just asks me to stop being a tool and be an instrument in helping others reach their potential/purpose. So I am attempting to do that. I'll still take your prayers though.

Sorry for the long, serious posts. I hope to get my sense of humour back very soon.

4 Comments:

At June 28, 2006 9:44 a.m., Blogger Kim said...

I also have not be spending enough time in the word so this morning I to decided I needed to, and this is what I read: 2Corinthians 10:3-5
For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient of Christ.
I thought this also went along with our discussions. God is Cool!

 
At June 28, 2006 10:54 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

God is cool...Jesus is my homeboy.

 
At June 28, 2006 11:31 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steph,
I am inspired everytime I read your blog. They make me do a lot of soul searching. I too have not spent time reading my bible lately but I dug it out after I read your blog. You are a very good friend and I miss our talks.

 
At June 29, 2006 10:46 a.m., Blogger Em Bass said...

I'm kinda going through the same thing. One example: Every morning when I do pray and spend time in the Word, my morning run(more like jog) seems more enjoyable and I notice the beauty. When I don't, I feel so tired and my energy is low. I don't know how it all fits together, but it's just some observations....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home